Friday, May 14, 2010

Can you take any form of birth control when you're breastfeeding?

i'm going to give birth around the end of sept. and i was wondering if you can be on the shot, pill, or nuvaring while breastfeeding?Can you take any form of birth control when you're breastfeeding?
Pills, injections, or other forms of birth control not involving estrogens may be used with minimal side effects when breastfeeding. While small amounts of estrogen in the breast milk has not been found to harm babies, there are concerns it may reduce the amount of milk produced.


It might be a great idea to see yor doctor or nurse.


Good luck!Can you take any form of birth control when you're breastfeeding?
you really shouldn't need any birth control while breast feeding. I can't remember why but my doctor said normally you can't get pregnant if you are nursing? Good luck
You should only take the progesterone only pills. You take them the same way as the regular pill, but they won't interfere with breast milk production.
I've heard when you're breastfeeding you should be on special low-dose pills that have progesterone only, and no estrogen, because estrogen can interfere with your milk supply. I would ask your doctor, I'm not really sure what these pills are called.
I just had my baby 2 months ago and am breastfeeding. I asked for the Nuvaring, but it is not recommended for breastfeeding mothers. My doctor prescribed me the 'mini pill' because it will not affect your milk supply. I am also going to get an IUD put in later, but he says to wait a few months for my uterus to get back to normal. It lasts 5 years, can be taken out at anytime, and is compatible with breastfeeding. You will definitely need some form of BC because breastfeeding isn't a reliable form of birth control; some women still ovulate while breastfeeding, especially when they are supplementing. Good luck!
I breast fed exclusively and did not have a period for nine entire months. Breastfeeding is not 100% as a contraceptive, but it is pretty darn good.


Use a condom or a sponge


I would never use hormones while I was feeding a baby.
the mini pill you can take while your breastfeeding
Be sure to discuss this with your health care provider after giving birth. I'm pretty sure you can take the minipill and none of the other options (they come through in the milk and they affect your milk supply.) It can reduce your milk supply, so be sure you have been nursing for several weeks before starting the pill. Nursing as often and as long as the baby wants will help ensure a well established milk supply.
It can often be harmful to ur child in breast feeding. my advice just lay of the sex while u r breast feeding.
you can use the mini-pill, the depo shot, or regular barrier methods (condoms, diaphragm)





you might not get a period while you're breastfeeding but you can still get pregnant
i know you can' be on the pill because it lowers milk supply. don't know about the other two.congrats!
There are several options, but what I found worked for me and was very leanient was mini-pills, i.e. POPs (progesterone only pills). I felt like I had more control with those while breastfeeding, that I could take them for as long as I wanted and when ready to stop or switch to something else, I could.
You can have an IUD put inside mirena lasts up to 5 years. I have that and I am currently breastfeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment