Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What form/Type of Birth Control are you using?

I am 17 days post-partum and researching BC options. I have not been on BC in 4+ years. From what I see a lot has changed and there are a lot of new options. What are you using? How do you like it? What are the pro's and con's and would you reccomend it to someone else? I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's answrs. Thank you!What form/Type of Birth Control are you using?
I used to be on Yaz, but the hormone balance wasn't right for my body. Now I'm on Necon (generic form of Nortrel 1/35) and it works magic. Ya, I gained a little weight, but I don't know if it's from the pill or from stress in school and binge eating while I study. But, I don't have major mood swings, I don't have as bad of cramps, and my periods are regular. Before I went on Necon (even on Yaz) I had major mood swings, bad cramps before and during my period, and I still had periods that lasted 8-10 days. Now they're 3-5 days. I swear by it. I haven't gotten pregnant either! Cuz most of the time my boyfriend and I don't use condoms anymore. But I take it religiously. I set my alarm for the same time every day and take it promptly at 7am.





I'm actually getting sick of taking it every day tho cuz I'm paranoid that I'll forget. Which has happened when I forget to set my alarm or when I'm already in class and forgot to grab my pill pack or whatever the reason may be. In over 2 years that I've been on birth control I've maybe forgotten no more than a dozen pills. But, it's because I'm paranoid of forgetting one or whatever. I want to talk to my doctor about the IUD. It can prevent pregnancy for up to 5 or 10 years depending on the one you get. I go to the doctor in August for my yearly exam so I'm gonna talk to him about it then.





I don't recommend the patch because it's like leaving a bandaid on for a week. It starts to peel and may fall off and it just isn't very reliable.





The shot isn't that great either. Some of my friends had tried it and they gained a lot of weight from it and were constantly hungry.





I think the best thing for you is to talk to your doctor at your next post-partum appointment and see what he thinks would be your best option. See what would fit your budget too. Some things are more expensive than others. And see what your insurance would help cover. With my insurance, I pay $16 for 3 months of pills. $16!!!!!!! That's one thing I can definitely afford. LoL. You can't buy 3 months worth of condoms for that price. LoL.





Good luck and I hope you find what works the best for you!





EDIT: For the answer before mine (about Seasonale)...I would be too freaked out if my period didn't come every month because I would constantly think I was pregnant. One week a month without sex is ok for me. Cuz there's 3 other weeks and there's other ways to have fun during that one week. So, yep...I'd rather have my period every month and deal with the mess than go 3 months without one and freak out and spend all my money on pregnancy tests. LoL.What form/Type of Birth Control are you using?
i LOVE my birth control. i am on seasonal.


how this works, you dont have a period once a month.. you have a period every 3 months.


the best pro of course is you dont have to deal with your period as often. it lightens you period, as do most forms of birth contorl.. and most people's periods are much shorter also.


if you are one of those women who doesnt like to have sex while on their period (i dont like to) this is also a great pro because your period doesn't come as often!!





the only con is the first cycle of 3 months you have occasional spotting while getting used to the pill!





i hope this helped! and good luck!
I take Yaz, and i can't really tell you, bc i've only been on it for a few days
  • eye color
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment