Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I have been breastfeeding exclusively for eight weeks. Is this a form of birth control?

My husband and I did not have intercourse, but he did enter in me for a minute. Nothing came out because we didn't actually have intercourse. No protection was used. Isn't exclusive breastfeeding a form of birth control? My baby has seemed to become less greedy but that could be loss of appetite from her shots that she got three days ago. Please someone give me some insight!!!I have been breastfeeding exclusively for eight weeks. Is this a form of birth control?
You're not supposed to ovulate while breastfeeding. It is your body's way of saying ';Hey, I don't think you need to be pregnant again right now, since you've still got a baby who is young enough to breastfeed';. That said, this is usually only the case in the early months when you are feeding every 2 hours night and day. Once the feeding slows down the body starts responding to that and you will be able to get pregnant. Just to be on the safe side you may want to think about using protection or going on some other form of birth control.I have been breastfeeding exclusively for eight weeks. Is this a form of birth control?
It is not a reliable form of birth control. It may or may not delay periods (which is why it is considered birth control in the first place). It is hard to tell when you begin your cycle again. I exclusively breastfeed my daughter. She was born Nov 5, I got my first period on New Years day. I exclusively breastfed my son for awhile and got my period 4 weeks postpartum. It is different for every woman and every pregnancy.





Considering your situation though, I would not worry. But you should consider another form of birth control as back up when you do start getting into things again. You do not mention the onset of a period, so I'll assume that you have not had one yet. If so, condoms may be sufficient enough as birth control until you do start your periods again. Or you can begin the mini-pill.
It can be if done CORRECTLY, just like NFP. This is called LAM (Lactational Amenorrhea Method).





http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertil鈥?/a>


Exclusive breastfeeding (by itself) is 98-99.5% effective in preventing pregnancy as long as all of the following conditions are met:





Your baby is less than six months old


Your menstrual periods have not yet returned


Baby is breastfeeding on cue (both day %26amp; night), and gets nothing but breastmilk or only token amounts of other foods.


Effectiveness of Birth Control Methods


Number of Pregnancies per 100 Women


Method Perfect Use Typical Use


LAM 0.5 * 2.0


Mirena庐 IUD 0.1 * 0.1


Depo-Provera庐 0.3 * 3.0


The Pill / POPs 0.3 * 8.0


Male condom 2.0 * 15.0


Diaphragm 6.0 * 16.0


* Adapted from information at plannedparenthood.org.


See comparison of effectiveness for birth control methods for more information.





As you can see, hopefully, (sorry the chart didn't copy correctly), LAM *can* be more effective if done correctly, and even done incorrectly is more effective than some typical methods of BC. It's equally effective when done incorrectly to what the failure rate of perfectly used condoms are. It just depends on if you're within guidelines.





You learn something new every day, eh people?
Breast feeding can suppress the release of another egg, but it's by no means fool-proof. Just ask my mum - my sister is 11 months younger than me. Mum breastfeed me until I was about 6 months. So yes and no - it's not a reliable form of contraception.





Um, and yes, if he entered you, for any amount of time and even if neither of you moved, you still had intercourse. That's what it's called when a penis goes into a vagina. Even though neither of you orgasmed during penetration it's still intercourse. And there may have been pre-come, it happens when men are aroused, helps with lubrication and does contain sperm. Those little buggers are good at finding their way so if by some chance you have ovulated a day or 3 before or after you had sex you could get pregnant.
I dont think exclusive breastfeeding is a definite form of birth control...I became pregnant with my second child, because I had the same false misconception (no pun intended!)


Just because a man doesnt ejaculate doesnt mean that he hasnt released any sperm...and you only need one!


I think you should use birth control if you dont want another baby and perhaps take a home pregnancy test or see your doctor for a test to be safe.
no it is not


that is why u see many women with an 11 month old and a 9 month old





it is in no way shape or form BC








get on the mini pill, and IUD, or just use condoms if ur not ready 4 another lil one just yet
How do people like you get married and have kids?





I don't understand how people find all these myths as true. Are you so unaware of the working of the human body?
You can still get pregnant while breastfeeding. There's less chance of it happening, but it's still possible.
No unfortunately breast feeding being a form of birth control is a myth, my friend found that out the hard way, so use protection
I'm sure millions of people owe their existance to this myth. Get some protection NOW!
  • eye color
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment