Friday, January 22, 2010

Can I take more than one form of birth control?

I just had my second child, and DH and I are done having children. I'm not quite ready to have my tubes tied, and am considering some different birth control choices, mostly Depo Provera and Mirena.





With either of these, can I also do a BC pill for ';back up';? I know that's a strange question, but I got pregnant while on BC, so I want to be covered as much as possible before DH gets his vasectomy in June.Can I take more than one form of birth control?
No, you can't take more than one hormonal based birth control. All of these are hormonal. Depo Provera and the pill are normal level of hormones. The Mirena IUD also release hormones.





I imagine that you could use a non-hormonal IUD (or a diaphragm - does anyone still use those) with BC control pills. You could use either a male or a female condom with the hormonal birth control. Do they still make the Today Sponge? You could use a contraceptive film in addition to hormonal birth control, but don't mix 2 hormonal types.





good luck!





BtW - the need for a condom might make hubby more interested in going for that vasectomy!Can I take more than one form of birth control?
You probably don't want to double up on your birth control. BC is estrogen which in high doses is a possible cause of breast cancer. Check with your doctor though instead of non-pro's on here! Depo Provera isn't the best choice for you though, I know a few girls that had serious problems with it, and my one friend even had problems up to a year after she stopped taking it.





I would just tell your husband to wear a condom as a double protection, I'm sure he can stick it out for a few months!!
NO!!!!! One birth control method (if hormones) should be enough. He can wear a condom. Now try and think back when u were taking the pill and became pregnant. Were u taking ANY other medication (even over the counter). Some medications inactivate the pill. And also if you live in a warm state, temperature influences in the activity of the pill.
no. not doubling up with estrogen based contraceptives. you can use an IUD with the others if you want to be extra sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment