Sunday, January 24, 2010

I need an opinion about the non-hormonal IUD as a form of birth control?

I am currantley on the pill but want to try the non-hormoal IUD. My concern is, will it interfere with sex at all? To insert or not to insert, that it the question?I need an opinion about the non-hormonal IUD as a form of birth control?
The non-hormonal IUD doesn't interfere with sex, it's just like the hormonal types. The most common non-hormonal IUD is the copper kind. You wanna be careful with all IUDs because using them increases your chances of getting PID. Also you're at increased risk for ectopic pregnancy and infertility. The most common side affects are heavier menstrual flow, painful cramps, spotting between period, etc. Talk to your doctor and he/she can help you decide if the IUD is right for you.I need an opinion about the non-hormonal IUD as a form of birth control?
I have a low-hormone IUD called Mirena and I love it. It doesn't give systemic-levels of hormones, just enough to keep the lining of your uterus thin so your periods are light and short. The drawback is that you have to have at least one child to get one. I don't know why that is. So if you're already a mom, I say read up on it a little more! It lasts 5 years and you can get pregnant as soon as 1 month after having it removed.
My sis in law has it and said she doesnt even know it's there.
There are many options out there and the biggest question is how long do you want your fertility to be affected?





If you are looking for something you don't have to mess with at all you can look towards a copper IUD. They are completely hormone free and inserted into your uterus by the OBGYN, the drawback being that you may have to wait a year or so after it's removal to regain full fertility.





Aside from that you can look at the Sponge or Diaphragm. You can insert it up to 4 hours before sex (I think) and leave it in for about 12 hours after. It simply is a blockage method with added spermicide for extra protection.





I'm sure there may be other options out there but I think those are the 2 main ones for someone looking for a method completely free of hormones.





Check my source for all your options...
I've had it for almost 3 years now.


The insertion hurt really bad, but that was partially because I've never had kids or been pregnant. I was in moderate pain and had some spotting for about 3 weeks, but OTC painkillers helped a lot.


I haven't had any problems after the initial 3 weeks. I do have slightly heavier periods and some cramps, but the convenience is really worth it.


My partner can't feel it at all
I would definitely recommend it.....for the right person. I am not able to tolerate the pill due to the increase in the hormones. I have had the mirena IUD in for 4 years now, and I am very happy that I got it. The first few weeks you should expect some cramping and spotting, but after that, lighter periods, if any, and decreased cramping when you do have them. No problems during sex either. Plus, if you do want to become pregnant, you can have it removed and your cycle is supposed to return to normal a lot faster than the pill.

No comments:

Post a Comment