Sunday, January 24, 2010

Which is the better form of birth control?

I know I'm not going to remember to take a pill the same time everyday, so according to my research, my only two options(besides no sex) are the Depo shots or the patch. I was wondering if any users could tell me some pros and cons to using them and which would you recomend?Which is the better form of birth control?
There are a few options open to you.





1. Depo-Provera - The Shot


pros: - protects you for 12 weeks


- don't need to remember a pill daily


- helps prevent cancer in the uterus lining





cons: - if you don't like shots this is clearly bad


- pregnancies tend to be ectopic (in your fallopian tube)


- it takes an average of 9-10 months (if not longer) to get pregnant after your last shot.





2. Ortho Evra - The Patch


pros: - Apply one patch per week, 4th week off.


- Fertility returns soon after ending patch usage.


- may reduce heaviness of period and cramping





cons: - reaction on skin at site of application


- increased exposure to estrogen


- blood clots





3. NuvaRing - The Ring


pros: - use one ring for three weeks straight, vaginally


- does not require a fitting by a clinician


- it does not take the spontaneity out of your sex life





cons: - it can pop out during sex, you wash it in cold water and replace it


- increased vaginal discharge is possible, as is irritation





4. Intrauterine Devices - IUD


pros: -


- long term birth control, no remembering to take anything or do anything


- menstrual flow tends to be reduced by 90%. For 20% of women, their flow stops in one year's time.


- less than one woman a year gets pregnant with this method





cons: - expulsion - it slips out of the uterus fully or partially


- perforation - it鈥檚 pushed into the wall of the uterus, may require surgery to repair, may not.


- infection - it鈥檚 rare but possible to have a pelvic infection occur with use (bacteria entering during insertion)





5. Diaphragms, Caps, and Shields


pros: - use it only when you need it


- can be carried in your purse


- does not affect your hormones


- can be inserted hours before you plan on having sex





cons: - you can not use it while you have your period


- may be difficult to insert


- may be pushed out of place by sexual position or thrusts


- 14-16 women will get pregnant using one of these options





More pros and cons are listed for each of these options at my source link. There is also additional information there.





As a personal and less clinical note... all people react differently to different birth controls. As a doctor once told me ';it's hit or miss. Keep trying until you find the one that is right for you.'; I tried the pill, monophasic and triphasic and suffered severe depression (they pulled me off the pill immediately). I then used the patch and have stuck with that. Yes, it does get stuff stuck to it along the edges, but the conveniences balance it for me. I can remember to change the patch once a week and I don't experience severe mood swings. In the end, I chose what was right for me... and I wish you luck in finding the one that works best for you!Which is the better form of birth control?
I hated the patch, it got all gross by day 2 or 3. Fibers from my clothes would stick to it, so instead of this skin colour patch that blends in, i had this very noticeable black (or whatever colour clothing I was wearing) sticky residue! It was the same thing with a friend of mine who used it as well.





Have you heard of the Nuva-Ring?
u can still take birth control if u cant remember if u do forget (dont try to) jsut take it that morning or whatever
Actually, I would not recommend any kind of hormonal birth control. Why? Not only do they supress ovulation, which is unnatural, but they have many unpleasant side effects, and if you read the package insert of any kind of birth control they all say:





';The long terms effects of hormonal contraceptives are unknown.';





I think that's too big a risk to take. Also birth control can cause early abortions. Have you done any research on Natural Family Planning? My husband and I have used it successfully for years now. No side effects and it's totally free!
my doc won't prescribe the patch it has been linked to too many strokes.


on the personal side, I've had neither but my friend did use the patch (different doc) and she complained about the adhesive itself. she said she hated replacing it every week since the adhesive was strong enough to last 7 days she had to have her hubby do it right after a shower quick like ripping off a band aid. she also mentioned her insurance wouldn't cover as much of it as they did the pill.


and my sister had the depo shot - she liked it but didn't like having to go in every 3 months to get it done...also it took like 8 or 9 months to get the hormones completely out of her body before she was able to try to conceive.


all this said, i just went in today and got Mirena IUD put it. it's maintenance free and lasts up to 5 years! also the doc said when i want to try to get pregnant just come in and get it removed, my body would be ready to conceive in less than a month!!!





talk to your doc about all your options based on your habits - that's what he's there for.





good luck!
I have had both. Depo made me gain alot of weight and I had a terrible 1st year. I bled alot and often through the first year but was never able to drop the weight I gained. Later I tried the patch. It was OK but it gets alot of lint etc. stuck to it and looks very unattractive. It also gave me a headache. I just got an IUD called Mirena and it is the best experience I have had with birthcontrol. I skip months at a time and don't feel pregnant like many birthcontrols make me feel. Mirena is a procedure but it is not that bad. You feel a pinch thats all. It is good for 5 years but can be removed at any time. I suggest you look into it! Hope this helps!
A good form of birth control is to keep a bunch of rowdy kids for a week and then decide if sex is worth it.
There are pros and cons to all forms of birth control. Although abstinence is the best and most effective I have heard more negatives about the patch. I was watching a commercial that was basically saying it has more side effects than doctors and pamphlets will tell you. I would recommend the shot. The myth with that is you gain weight, which is not true, it all depends on your diet. That doesn't mean you have to succumb to being a vegetarian but if you eat McDonald's everyday your bound to gain SOME weights. Take the shot and watch your diet and you should be OK.
How about trying the NuvaRing..........It is a much better option then the Depo or the patch.
My doc won't give Depo to women who are not done having children. There are simply too many cases of infertility following use for him to be comfortable with that. I don't know anything about the patch; that came out after I enquired about Depo.





Consider getting a watch that beeps at the same time every day to remind you to take your pill. I mean,think about it. How are you going to handle it if your life depends on taking a pill every day (as in the case of folks with heart trouble). In addition, invest in condoms.





Oh, and the IUD was successful for my Mom for decades. That's also an option.





To the poster who says she should just see her doctor, well, I'm here to tell you that many doctors don't even TELL you about the choices available! The Internet is a good place to find out about what is available and what questions to ask so when you DO see your doctor, you have some knowledge to ask the right questions.
As a depo user for almost 5 years. On and off, before and after I had my baby. I would strongly suggest you to stay away from it. They do not tell you when you first start using it, but it is not good for your body at all. And when you are decided it'd time you want to start having children you will not be able to, it messes with you body so bad. There is an entire website dedicated to ';life after depo'; Just take the pill. Use your cell phone (everyone has one) and set an alarm to go off everyday at the same time. If you want to be responsible and not get pregnant you can remember to take a pill once a day
I hated the patch! its like a band aide thats stays on your skin too long and looks all old and dirty. I hated that thing. The Depo-worked for me for a few years, but strange story with it, Got my shot in october, got pregnant in novemeber, found out I was prego on new years eve!


I had been on it for 2 years!


You may want to research the Mirena (IUC) its implanted and has a faster recovery time to your flow than an IUD. It has shown to decrease your periods, cramping, and hormonal imbalance!


Good luck
There's also the Nuva Ring... I really liked that option. It's easy and you only have to change it once a month. Low hormone levels, so it doesn't have many side effects and you can chose to leave it in for a full month and skip the actual bleeding for up to 3 months in a row. My doctor used that method for me b/c I had horrible cramping with menstruation, so she decided the best way for me to deal with it was to bypass the period all together. Whatever works for you. But I would give it a try, see how you like it. I'm sure your doctor would have free samples, or go to Nuva Ring's website. I think they have a coupon for one.
Dont take the patch. My gyno said they werent giving the patch anymore due to the side effects. Its killed people and several were young. The shot is only every 3 months. There are others like the IUD, diaphrams, cap, the ring,and the inplant.





Patcha(ortho Evra) Its placed on arm butt stomach once a week for 3 weeks.It protects against pregnancy for 1 month. It works best when Its changed on the same day for the whole month(like change it once every monday) Usually have shorter lighter periods. It can cause heart attack, blood clots, and diabities.





The shot- protects against pregnancy for 12 weeks.Protection is immediate if taken within the first 7 days of period. It is one of the most effective birt control options. Helps prevent cancer in the lining of the uterus. Disavantage It takes an average of 9-10 months to get pregnant after taking the last shot.
Personally, I avoid the hormones altogether. I use a paragard IUD. It is good for 10 years, and can be removed at any time just about as easily as a tampon by your gyno when you are ready to have a baby. Generally you must be in a monogamous relationship with no history of any STD's, and some doctor's prefer you to have had at least one baby first. They are very low maintenance (you just have to check it monthly usually after you period to make sure its still in place). I had one for 10 years, had it removed, and got pregnant with my baby girl within a couple of weeks. I tried the shots, and within 2 years I gained 30 pounds!!
I think it really depends on the person. I totally agree with you about the pill not being the greatest option, I can't remember to take them at the same time every day- now that I have kids, I can barely remember much. BUT my sister got pregnant with triplets, lost one so she had twins, while on the Depo shots. Then she was on the pill when she got pregnant with her daughter (7 years later!). I got pregnant while on the pill (but I was taking it correctly at the time), and then again while I had a Paraguard IUD, it is supposed to last 10 years, I had had it for five. So we don't even have one that works for us. You might have to try one kind for a while, then if that doesn't work, switch to another, etc. The shot I wouldn't recommend, because of my sister's experience, but also because she puffed up like a fish. She was always pretty thin, but when she got on the shot, she looked like she had gained 40 lbs. and a lot in her face. She is a very healthy eater, so that person saying that if you watch what you'll eat, you'll be fine, if full of it. I'm not sure what my sister gained, I never felt it was nice to ask, but I'll sure never try it. I don't know about the patch, except for what people have already written. That might work. Good luck~
what is so hard about remembering to take a pill every day? just do it with the rest of the stuff you do in the morning when you get up, or the vening when you go to bed...you brush your hair everyday right? you brush your teeth everyday (i hope!) things like that, just take it then put the pills with your toothbrush or hair brush etc.
I would recommend the depo shot although I haven't used either. With the patch you'd still have to remember to take it weekly and I heard it had a higher failure rate than the depo shot. With the depo shot you don't need to think about your birth control for 3 months although there are some pretty serious side effects to consider.





Natural family planning is not an effective method of birth control.
Of course no sex is the safest sex, but I'm sure that is not what you want to hear. To be honest, the depo has had very little research done on it. ';They'; don't know what kind of long term effects it might cause. It hasn't been tested long enough to really know anything about it. There have been cases where the depo caused infertility. Also, it causes weight gain and mood swings. The patch can cause irritation on the spot that you wear it. It falls off before time and above all no form of birth control is 100% effective. The only pros to either one would be the length of time that you can go without the bother of remembering to use it. The depo is every 3 months and the patch, depending on the brand is either twice a week or once a week.
I did the pill for 2 years and it was a pain. I just started ';nuvaring'; and I'm loving it! Just as effective as the pill and you change it every 3 weeks. Can't feel it at all and won't fall out because of the muscles holding it in place. Highly recommended.
Both the Depo shot and the patch are associated with VERY serious side effects, I can't recommended either.





Please read that patient insert for Depo-provera and decide if those risks are worth it to you:


http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/download/pp鈥?/a>


It is also strongly recommended you not take Depo for more than two years.





Due to the high hormone levels in the patch it puts you at greater risk of all the side effects of the pill, such as blood clots, etc. that is why there are class action lawsuits against the patch.





Nuva ring is supposed to release lower levels of hormones, but I don't know if that is true.





You might want to consider an IUD, the new hormonal IUDs (non-copper) are associated with much lower rates of side effects, and ALL side effects caused by IUDs go away as soon as they are removed, unlike Depo which can cause a lifelong loss of bone density.
I would try the nuva ring. That's the best form out there right now in my opinion. Good luck.
I do not reccomed either. the depo will make you gain weight and i have heard bad stuff on the patch. check with your doctor about yaz.
Possibly not having sex like you stated if your not ready to have a baby then dont take the risk of gettting knocked up..Your doctor knows more then the people on yahoo answers...

No comments:

Post a Comment